Nigerian renowned recording producer, Samklef has reached out to Wizkid in an open letter, demanding clarification on his royalties on the song, Pakurumo.
Samklef had previously requested that Banky Wpay him royalties for producing Big Wiz’s blockbuster song ‘Pakurumo,’ which was recorded while the singer was signed to EME.
Banky then ordered Samklef to contact Wizkidabout the royalties, after the latter denied being a part of a royalty split sheet submitted by Samklef as evidence.
In the royalty split sheet shared by Samklef, the composers of the song were written as Wizkid and one Steve Michaels.
Samklef claimed that his name had been changed to Steve Michaels and questioned Banky W’s involvement.
Banky, on the other hand, told Samklef that he didn’t know who Steve Michaels was and that he didn’t have a claim to the royalties because his name and EME weren’t on the sheet.
Banky asked Samklef to take up his royalty claims with Wizzy and Sony, with whom Wizkidsigned a contract after leaving EME, according to a screenshot supplied by Samklef.
Now, the producer has written to the Starboy Frontman on his social media page, demanding a clear explanation.
Grammy-winning Nigerian singer, Damini Ogulu, popularly known as Burna Boy, visited the United Nations Headquarters in New York, ahead of his sold-out show at Madison Square Garden, in the same city.
Burna Boy, who went in the company of his mum and manager, Bose Ogulu, met with the UN Deputy Secretary-General, Nigeria’s Amina Mohammed, during the visit.
Mohammed shared a picture of the visit on her Twitter page on Thursday morning, as she hailed the singer for inspiring young people with his talent.
She wrote, “I had the opportunity to welcome my compatriot @burnaboy here at the @UN HQ.
“Burna continues to inspire young people around the world with his amazing talents.”
I had the opportunity to welcome my compatriot @burnaboy here at the @UNHQ. Burna continues to inspire young people around the world with his amazing talents. pic.twitter.com/54VJ7wWd6V
Who would have thought Tunde Ednut who publicly defends Davido and pitches his followers against Wizkid in most of his posts has at a point in time spoken well of the latter?
An old video of Tunde having a chat with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu on Rubbin Minds emerged online where he declared that the Made in Lagos crooner has the password to the music game
“Wizkid is doing very well, he knows the password of this music game, when you know the password you can’t timeout, whether you like it or not people change passwords too so Nigerians can decide to change their password and you won’t understand them anymore.”
He further noted that Wizkid understands music lovers and he gives them what they want while also commending Don Jazzy.
Nigerians react to Tunde Ednut’s interview:
Social media users have reacted differently to the old video of Tunde Ednut speaking well about Wizkid and how he understands the music game.
American rapper goes into the streets and blesses a family with N8m in nice video. Photo credit: @mufasatundeednut. Source: Instagram
American rapper, 6ix9ine has gifted the sum of N8m to a family. He said he wanted to use the money at the club the previous day but changed his mind. He, therefore, decided to use it to do social good by blessing the family he met on the street so hugely.
The woman who received the money on behalf of the family got very emotional the moment the money reached her hand
It was so dramatic that none of them expected it. 6ix9ine simply stepped down from his car and walked straight to the woman where she was by the roadside and carried out the good act. She hugged the rapper so tightly in an expression of emotions and also in appreciation for the surprise gift. 6ix9ine allows another stranger to make video with him Immediately he finished gifting the money to the woman, a car pulled up. It was a fan who wanted to make video with the celebrity. 6ix9ine obliged him ahd shook hands with him warmly.
Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has reawakened the desire for qualitative fatherhood in singer 2Baba who laments times lost with his kids.
The African Queen” singer became emotional after watching a video of Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United ex Manager Sir Alex Ferguson, speaking about the importance of family.
The African Queen” singer became emotional after watching a video of Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United ex Manager Sir Alex Ferguson, speaking about the importance of family.
Ronaldo described a moment with his father and said: “Family is more important to him than the games.”
Hip-hop star Megan Thee Stalliontearfully recounted the trauma of being shot last year in her first televised interview about the incident, claiming Tory Lanez offered her money to stay quiet about him pulling the trigger.
The Grammy-winning artist appeared in a sit-down “CBS Mornings” interview with Gayle King on Monday to give her account of the night when she said the Canadian rapper shot her multiple times in the feetfollowing a party at Kylie Jenner’s Hollywood Hills house in July 2020.
“He said, ‘I’m so sorry. Please don’t tell nobody. I’ll give y’all $1 million if y’all don’t say nothing,’” said Megan, whose real name is Megan Pete. “And I’m like, ‘What are you talking about? Why are you offering me money right now? Help me. And if you’re sorry, just help me.’”
When asked by King if she was “afraid for your life at that time,” Megan responded, nodding, “I was really scared ’cause I had never been shot at before.”
Her account aligns with what Los Angeles Police Department detective Ryan Stogner said she told him after the shooting. In a preliminary hearing in the Lanez case last year, Stogner said that Lanez “offered her money and begged her to please not say anything,” telling her that he was on probation.
.@theestallion shares her story of the 2020 incident when she was shot in her feet, allegedly by Tory Lanez.
She says she initially told police she stepped on glass, because she feared for her life: “I was just trying to protect all of us because I didn’t want them to kill us.” pic.twitter.com/qd4MJ1yN2w— CBS Mornings (@CBSMornings) April 25, 2022
Elsewhere in the interview, Megan addressed why she initially lied to the police officers who arrived on the scene, informing them that she injured her feet by stepping on broken glass after the party.
The comment has been used as a way to discredit Megan’s story by those siding with Lanez, who has continued to deny all the allegations.
“The George Floyd incident had just happened and police are very much ’shoot first, ask questions after,” she said. “I’ve been shot and they’re about to kill somebody. Something bad is about to happen.”
“So when I see people try and use that against me, to say I was lying … I was lying to protect all of us,” she continued. “Sometimes I wish I really would have never said that and told the truth.”
Lanez, born Daystar Shemuel Shua Peterson, pleaded not guilty to the assault and weapons possession charges related to the shooting in November 2021. The felony assault case is still ongoing, with the next court hearing set for September. If convicted, he faces a possible maximum sentence of 22 years and eight months in state prison.
The rapper was briefly taken into custody earlier this month after a judge ruled that his social media posts directed at Megan violated a protective order that required him not to have any contact with the rapper. He was later released with an increased bail of $350,000.
In a statement to CBS ahead of the interview, Lanez’s attorney said, “We look forward to addressing Ms. Pete’s claims ― including all its inconsistencies, discrepancies and omissions ― in a court of law.”
Megan, however, is confident that justice will prevail in her case, telling King that she’s “rather it play out in court and have the facts come out … than me having to plead my case.”
“I know this happened to me,” she said. “I’m the victim. I’m not defending myself against anything. Something happened to me.”
Watch more from Megan’s interview on “CBS Mornings” in the video above.
This remains the million dollar question with a lot of perspectives.
Wizkid and Terri (TheWestAfricanPilot)
Terry Daniel Akewe, better known as Terri, a Nigerian star, appears to have left his former label. Post Afro Series, he released the singles, ‘Come Around,’ ‘Money,’ and ‘Danger,’ but none of those songs were credited to Starboy Records on streaming platforms. Instead, they were credited to Terri/OneRPM.
At the time, different sources rumoured that he had exited the label.
Further food for thought arrived in the form of his latest EP, In Transit, which is his first body of work since ‘Afro Series.‘
Has Terri left Wizkid’s Starboy Records?
Like the singles before it, the EP was credited to Terri/OneRPM on streaming platforms.The African operations of OneRPM is led by Terri’s manager, Osagie Osarenz.
The most illuminating perspective comes from someone who works closely with both OneRPM and Starboy.
The person tells Pulse, “Terri is still signed to Starboy. Terms of the contract doesn’t specify a number of albums, just a number of years. And at this time, Terri has a valid contract with the label.
“About a year ago, Wizkid – who is like a big brother to Terri – feared that Terri might get complacent as [Wiz] becomes more involved with his crossover. So he sought to hand over Terri’s affairs to someone with a similar passion and ties, who could also help him make great music, as he continues his journey towards stardom.“
Essentially, that person portrayed the move as one inspired by love. He also tells Pulse that nothing is being remitted to Wizkid and Starboy because Wizkid doesn’t see the point.
“How much will Wiz make from Terri? [laughs],” he quips. “He sees Terri as his little brother and Terri sees Wiz as his big brother. Wiz just wants to see him do well. All the proceeds from his music will depend on terms of his contract with OneRPM, but Wiz is more concerned with seeing Terri blossom.“
This is not dissimilar to how Davido operates DMW. Like Starboy, it’s become an avenue to see young artists blossom and achieve their dreams, as opposed to a strict profit-making venture.
Other perspectives
“Terri is independent, but it’s lowkey,” asserts another source, who claims to have knowledge on the issue.
Two other people then provide further compelling perspectives.
Both of them leaned towards a simple reality: Even if Terri has left Starboy, he owes a lot of loyalty and an eternal debt of gratitude to Wizkid. Thus, it’s unlikely that he will ever come out to say that he left the label. They also note that he has too much to gain from Wizkid by being within his camp, than being outside.
“Their relationship goes beyond words and terms on a paper,” says one of them. “I’m not even sure they still think in terms of contract and its expiration. Terri now lives fine, and that’s due to Wizkid. That’s family for life.“
The other goes further to note the existing relationship between Wizkid and Osagie Osarenz, who was the Starboy boss’ first manager while he was signed to EME. The person says that even if the contract between Wizkid and Terri expires, Wizkid still sees Terri as a part of his family and Terri accepts and loves that reality.
The result of which means: Wizkid and Osarenz might have simply come to an arrangement, which delegates responsibilities to the seasoned Music Exec, which would greatly benefit Terri, as Wizkid forges ahead in Europe and the Americas.
This reality is further enhanced by the continued support from Wizkid-related platforms.
Despite appearing to release three singles and one new EP without credit to Starboy, Wizkid News, Wizkid’s official Instagram fan page and Wizkid Source, the Twitter version would always share his songs with the popular ‘#ad’ tag.
Terri, a Lagos-born and bred Edo State indigene, signed with Wizkid’s label, Starboy Records, in February 2018. This was after meeting Mut4y, Starboy’s head of music and one-half of Legendury Beatz.
This encounter with Mut4y came about as a result of his electrifying cover of ‘Oshey’ by DJ Jimmy Jatt featuring Wizkid. It was widely shared on Instagram.
After joining Starboy, Terri then collaborated with Wizkid, Ceeza Milli, and Spotless on the mega hit single ‘Soco,’ which was released on February 21, 2018. It served as a precursor to his debut single, ‘Bia.’ Terri released his hit song ‘Ojoro’ and debut EP ‘Afro Series‘ in 2020.
For a number of years now, the question that has been on many music lovers’ lips is, “where is Cynthia Morgan?”
The “German Juice” songstress who crossed over from pop thrilled with a number of hit songs for over three years that she was crowned the queen of reggae dancehall music.
The energetic singer’s career appeared to begin to take a nosedive in 2015 following the release of her single, “Simatiniya.”
Fans craved new music from the star girl as she is fondly called but alas, nothing official was forthcoming save for some few leaks every now and then.Legacy format detected for design:
TEMPLATE NOT FOUND FOR
In a recent interview, Cynthia Morgan who at the height of her career was signed to Jude Okoye led North Side INC Label has now explained why she took a break from music.
In 2018, Nollywood actress Adesua Etomi reminded everyone of Cynthia Morgan’s absence when she asked about the singer on Twitter. She wrote:
“Where is Cynthia Morgan?”
The “Don’t Break My Heart” hitmaker is now finally answering the question.
According to the songstress, she had a breakdown as she was really sick for a while and also going through a lot of family issues.
She explained that although she tried to get back into the studio, it just really wasn’t it and all these affected her career negatively.
Watch the video interview below:
“I have been terribly sick, and facing lots of family issues” – singer Cynthia Morgan finally reveals what caused the setback in her musical career.
— Laila Ijeoma | Lailasnews.com (@LailaIjeoma) April 10, 2020
In 2018, it was reported that Cynthia was in trouble over unpaid rent and tax evasion.
The report has it that she was charged to an Ikeja High Court over her inability to pay the rent of her Omole apartment.
On the same day, she was served with the court papers, she was also allegedly served papers for papers for evading tax to the tune ofN3.584 million
Cynthia Morgan shot into limelight following the release of two singles titled “Don’t Break My Heart” and “Lead Me On”, which received massive airplay and positive reviews from critics
Wizkid has long stood as Afrobeats’ most regal royal.
And, for all his success, he’s made it common practice to shine a light on the rising talent making a wave in the movement
Case in point Ayra Starr.
Having garnered global notability with breakout smash ‘Bloody Samaritan’ and debut album ’19 & Dangerous,’ the sky is clearly the limit for the songstress.
And now it looks like she’s set to shine along the GRAMMY-winning Starboy.
Moments ago, the pair took to social media to share a clip of themselves in the studio together:
Justin Bieberalong with country duet Dan + Shayhave been sued for copyright infringement over their song “10,000 Hours,” which won a Grammy Award in 2021.
International Manufacturing Concepts, Melomega music and Sound Gems filed the lawsuit Thursday, alleging that Bieber and the duo of Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney “stole the core portion” referring to the chorus, verse and hook of “The First Time Baby Is A Holiday,” a 1973 song originally written by Palmer Rakes and Frank Fioravanti, according to documents obtained by People.
What are the companies asking Justin Bieber to do?
The companies, which claim to own the song and seek credit, point out in the lawsuit that there are “unmistakable similarities” between their song and “10,000 Hours,” noting that the latter wasn’t released until 2014, some five years before it came out.
In addition, the companies are seeking money in damages, statutory damages, attorneys’ fees and an injunction preventing further distribution of the song.
Thanks to “10,000 Hours” Bieber along with Dan + Shay won in 2020 two AMAs, an iHeartRadio Music Award and a Billboard Award, plus in 2021 won a Grammy Award for best country duo/group performance for the song.
Other lawsuits against Justin Bieber for his songs
This is not the first time Bieber has been sued, as in 2016 another artist claimed that the singer, along with DJ Skrillex, stole the hook of “Sorry” from one of his songs, although later the singer filed to have her own suit dismissed.
You must be logged in to post a comment.